Topic: Terminology

I have some thought on the general terminology of your system. Maybe this is locally flavored (Swedish) preference of words but to me the following is much more logic, also when explaining to my users:

Zone == Region
"Define edit regions". "When you edit that region..."
Comes more natural than zone thus more clear what is meant.

Update == Edit
"Edit / Remove site", "Edit / Remove user", "Edit FTP details"
Edit is what you do first, update is what you do when Done editing.

Next == Done
When updating site details it says Next> but clicking finishes and takes you back.
Next makes one expect another page. Coming back is confusing. (Oops, did I do it wrong?)

Last edited by Tobias (19 Jan 2011 10:26:05)

Re: Terminology

You make some valid points here, Tobias.

Zone versus Region:

We chose zone for two reasons; firstly because it's shorter and we wanted to build for 1024x768 as much as we could - every letter counts. Secondly it was for users where their first language was not English, such as yourself. We (possibly naively) assumed that 'zone' was a word more recognisable than 'region' or our other option, 'area'.

If you think that we're wrong, and that 'region' or indeed 'area' would be easier to understand for our international users, we're all ears.

Update versus Edit:

Another one we mulled over; the conclusion being that as we operate a content management system, using the words 'Edit site' for anything other than editing a site could be very confusing. We're going to stick with 'update', but what you said is very true and in any other system 'edit' would probably be how we would phrase it. As you know, we also use the domain name editsite.com which could further confuse things.

Next versus Done:

Yep, you're right; this has been changed now. The reason this was initially labeled 'Next' is because there was another page to go to - we since removed that next page to make the system easier to use but forgot about changing the wording on the button. So thanks for spotting that!

Great feedback, Tobias.

Zone vs Region
I do think Region is the most natural word of choice for this. (As Support Zone is also very clear.)
I understand screen real estate is limited. You could perhaps label that button 'Define editable'.

Update vs Edit
I think your design makes it very clear that editing site, content and user are separate.
editsite.com endorse the use of the word Edit.

MyForumPosting vs MyActualWork
Well, I guess I can validate it somehow. It's for my user(s). ;)

We've had a think; we like your 'areas' thing and have changed this site-wide. Thanks again Tobias.

The rest are staying! ;)